6 December 2022

Karthigai Deepam 2022

 Hi ! Hope you all are doing well . 

Happy Karthigai Deepam ! 

We have moved to a new house recently with a big balcony so this year I decided to decorate the balcony with my thoughts as I couldn’t make it in the veranda which is air conditioned  The lamps don’t stay for long so I just kept for half an hour and brought the lamps inside . 

Here in the new flat I got some friends and the medium is my everyday Kolams . They wonder how I do it and they love the rangoli . Many are seeing kolam for the first time . So I have told them I shall invite you all for Navarathri at my home this year :) let’s wait for it . 

So back to karthigai deepam . Apart from making savouries we make big Kolams and light lamps with oil . These days there are electric lamps and water lamps but we don’t use it . 

In my childhood karthigai deepam was more beautiful than now .The whole village would be lightened up with lamps . My mother used to wear the 9 yard saree and go to temple to light the lamp and bring home . My mother used to make pori urundai and sweet appam . Now let’s come to the kolam part . It’s been nearly 18 years since I left my home . From then on I never got a satisfactory place to exhibit my kolam. We had a very big thittani made only for me to put kolam . Once I left that house I started missing that thittani as well .I made really nice kolam from my childhood days . I remember making kolam in temples and even for neighbours .In our Chennai house there is space but still I would feel there could have been more space . It was like something is missing . 

Today after moving to this new house I made a kolam that made me the happiest. I never felt there is no space . After making this kolam I stood by it and left a tear . How beautiful and cherished it . I am thankful for everything that I have today and it’s only because of my discipline and Naveen who came to my life on the right time . For whatever we have today we are thankful to our efforts and path . Not thanking anybody because it’s our journey and we have played it alone so far . 

Adding the picture of my kolam . Let me know how you liked it or what are your thoughts on this blog . 



2 comments:

  1. Your arrangement of diyas and the elegant kolam look graceful! It's good that you got the chance to get back to the practise of drawing Kolam in your new home. My mother used to draw kolams every day when we lived on the ground floor, but now that we've moved to the first floor, she can't keep up with it due to the difficulties of getting down and up. I love kolam, and I ask her at least to draw kolam on festival days, which she used to do until lately when health issues arose.

    ReplyDelete

Navarathri 2023

 Hi ! Hope you all are having an absolutely wonderful Navarathri season. Here are some of my golu pictures . Let me know which one you liked...